Lower Back Pain Treatment in Kansas City
Low back pain is one of the leading complaints of adults in the United States.
Research has consistently shown that up to 80% of individuals will experience low back pain at some point in their life—up to 40% in any one year. Acute lower back pain is typically the culmination of multiple factors and dysfunction in tissue that manifest all at once or from an injury/trauma. Chronic low back pain, on the other hand, is often the result of repetitive trauma and improper load management (ex: doing too much too soon, doing something unaccustomed to your body, handling a load or amount of physical activity or exercise your body was not prepared for) that has not been fully and properly addressed, so the symptoms continue to linger and it can become easier to aggravate the symptoms.
Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain can include a variety of symptoms, such as:
- Sharp, pinpoint pain that may feel like a “catch”
- Generalized, dull achy pain
- Shooting pain traveling from the low back down into the buttocks, leg, and/or foot
- Stiffness and difficulty with movements that require back motion
- Pain while sitting or standing for long periods
Treatments for Lower Back Pain
Treatment for low back pain can depend on the type of injury; the treatment for a disc injury will look different than the treatment for an injury to connective tissue in the spinal column or the muscles surrounding the spine. Sometimes, you have multiple tissues that have been injured and need addressed. No matter the cause of your low back pain, important factors that will be included in your treatment plan include:
- Addressing mobility restrictions that can lead to increased stress on the low back, which often include the thoracic spine (mid-back) and the hips
- Improving flexibility in the muscles surrounding the spine and restoring full range of motion to the low back itself
- Proper breath control and learning to utilize the diaphragm to support the spinal column during functional and athletic activities
- Learning proper movement patterns and techniques to maximize your bodies’ ability to handle and receive loads
- Strength, endurance, and motor control training targeting the whole body – particularly the muscles in the legs, hips, and abdomen
Our Treatment Process
Our team at F.I.T. utilizes research and evidence-based techniques and functional testing to accurately and efficiently determine the best individualized approach to addressing and treating your lower back pain in Kansas City. The F.I.T. approach includes treatment techniques such as dry needling, FAKTR or Graston (Instrument-assisted myofascial release), joint mobilization/manipulation, Rock and Kinesio-taping, hands-on soft tissue mobilization techniques, and Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization (DNS) exercises, as well as functional exercises to improve your mobility, strength, and movement patterns.
Our aim is to learn what is most important to YOU and what your lower back pain is keeping you from doing and then determine the most effective and efficient way to treat it – leaving you Better Than Before.
Possible Treatments for lower back pain
For other treatment options, check out our chiropractic services for lower back pain.
Active Release Technique
Active Release Technique (A.R.T) is one of the leading soft tissue therapies for the treatment of muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves.Learn More
The physical therapy Graston technique is one of the leading instrument assisted soft tissue therapies for the treatment of muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves.Learn More
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the causes of lower back pain?
There are a variety of reasons you could be experiencing lower back pain, such as a fall, car accident, sports-related injury, repetitive movements, poor posture, or incorrect lifting technique. Physical therapy treatments for lower back pain can help significantly reduce your pain and prevent further injury or damage to the area.
Are there lower back pain stretches I can do between visits?
Yes. After visiting with one of our physical therapists, you will be equipped with exercises you can do at home to help alleviate pain and increase mobility.
are you suffering from low back pain?
Take a couple of minutes to tell us about your symptoms and pain areas. Prefer to chat over the phone? Call us for a free phone consultation.
Visit your local F.I.T. Physical Therapist
Meet the team at any of our 8 locations: Lee’s Summit, Liberty, Crossroads, Blue Valley, Olathe, Kansas City, Overland Park & Shawnee.